[Peace-discuss] Zinn, Election Madness

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Thu Feb 21 10:12:24 CST 2008

Zinn reiterates that that is needed for change is activism from below.

…Today, we can be sure that the Democratic Party, unless it faces a
popular upsurge, will not move off center. The two leading
Presidential candidates have made it clear that if elected, they will
not bring an immediate end to the Iraq War, or institute a system of
free health care for all.

They offer no radical change from the status quo.

They do not propose what the present desperation of people cries out
for: a government guarantee of jobs to everyone who needs one, a
minimum income for every household, housing relief to everyone who
faces eviction or foreclosure.

They do not suggest the deep cuts in the military budget or the
radical changes in the tax system that would free billions, even
trillions, for social programs to transform the way we live.

None of this should surprise us. The Democratic Party has broken with
its historic conservatism, its pandering to the rich, its
predilection for war, only when it has encountered rebellion from
below, as in the Thirties and the Sixties. We should not expect that
a victory at the ballot box in November will even begin to budge the
nation from its twin fundamental illnesses: capitalist greed and
militarism.

So we need to free ourselves from the election madness engulfing the
entire society, including the left.

Yes, two minutes […the time it takes to complete your ballot]. Before
that, and after that, we should be taking direct action against the
obstacles to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.…

The full article, from The Progressive magazine,  is at
http://www.progressive.org/mag_zinn0308