[Peace-discuss] Moon eclipse

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 21 16:57:59 CST 2008

Liberal myth-making, I'm afraid (which is not unknown in our own time).

I doubt Magellan ever said any such thing, because educated Europeans
(including church officials) of Magellan's time (and long before) did
not think the earth was flat.

The standard model (as in Dante) was of a round earth at the center of a
series of concentric spheres, each one (except the ninth) holding the
the moon, sun, or one of the planets.

A quite brilliant book on the model of the world from ancient times
through Shakespeare and Milton is C. S. Lewis, THE DISCARDED IMAGE.  I
used to insist my grad students in Renaissance studies read it. --CGE