[Peace-discuss] Moon eclipse

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 21 17:26:26 CST 2008

Not all church members were educated or informed, as Magellan no
doubt knew.

Incidentally, the "standard model" at the time was in fact that of
Ptolemy; the model you describe was formulated by the ancient Greeks,
Aristotle, etc., and I believe it had been well superseded by the
time of Dante (≈1300 AD). But perhaps the church liked Aristotle's
formulation more than that of Ptolemy (≈150 AD) (which endured until
after Copernicus (≈1500AD) and Galileo).

--mkb