[Peace-discuss] Re: [Announce] Fw: [Discuss] Fw: Fw: CLNews: Presidential Candidates and Single Payer

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 11:37:57 CST 2008

*This is because I think it's unrealistic to expect anyone running for a
national office to be able to survive without endorsements
*
After I made the comment about cutting both Clinton and Obama slack I did
share my reasons behind the statement. Running a presidential campaign is
hideously expensive and both Clinton and Obama will need some level of
corporate endorsements in order to run for office.

Now Clinton's voting record as a senator is one that she needs to be held
accountable for. I fully agree with your analysis on how Clinton has
conducted herself.
*
**The only thing that amazes me is how she has any support at all amongst
the average voter*.

People will often cast votes based on personalities. Bill Clinton did not
obtain the nickname "Slick Willie" by chance. The Clintons are very
charismatic people and that does have an impact on voter decision. Obama
himself has that same gift of personality and charm.

George W. Bush has been able to take a certain 'folksy' approach in how he
established himself amongst his supporters. When Al Gore was vice president
he earned the reputation for being 'stiff' and this perceived lack of
personality may have been part of what hurt him when he ran for office.
This stiffness and the shenanigans played out in Florida managed to kill his
presidential bid.

This is not something that is unique to Americans. Around the world and in
history there are examples of how politicians have been able to use charm to
gain office. When JFK ran for the presidency my father told me of someone
who voted for him because Kennedy seemed to be such a nice young man.  Adolf
Hitler is also another example of how charisma has managed to garner votes.
Some accounts of Hitler have focused on how he was able to hold a magnetic
presence and this chemistry helped him win the hearts of Germans.

Ideally voters would look strictly at a candidates record, and be able to
engage in a critical approach to making decisions. However, it's a much more
complex process that impacts people both intellectually and emotionally.

Peace, Marti