[Peace-discuss] performers for Zinn's "The People Speak" / who will you be? / flier attached

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 28 00:08:43 CST 2008

We need performers for Zinn’s "The People Speak"

Who Will You Be?

On March 11, 2008 a group from Champaign Urbana will video record Howard Zinn’s book "The People Speak: American Voices, Some Famous, Some Little Known"  to be played on UPTV, Urbana’s public access television channel 6.

The readings are relatively short and can be read in 2-4 minutes.

We are looking for volunteers who are free and interested in reading the excerpts on the evening of March 11th.  We have the Urbana City Council Chambers reserved from 6:00-9:00 pm. We tentatively are thinking of having a quick practice read through followed by the actual reading and recording.

Google Zinn's book to see which historical figures are included. The chapters are:
Columbus and Las Casas
Shay's Rebellion
Lowell Mill Girl
Indian Removal
Women's Declaration of Rights
Frederick Douglass
John Brown and Frederick Douglass
Henry Turner
Mark Twain
IWW and Lawrence Strike
Mother Jones
Emma Goldman
Helen Keller
Eugene Debs
The Harlem Renaissance
Sit-Down Strike at Flint
Catch-22
HUAC Interrogation
Fannie Lou Hamer
Malcolm X
Vietnam
The Women's Movement
Chicanos and Vietnam
Gulf War Resister
Poverty in Our Time
Post-September 11: Families for Peaceful Tomorrows

We need a number of people willing to do a reading.  To be successful and provide a variety of voices we would like to have at least 8-10 different people assist with the readings.

If you are interested in helping by doing a reading, please email Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com ASAP.  If you have a particular historical figure in Zinn's book you would like to read, please list that also.  It should be a fun, entertaining and educational evening.