[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [Mediamatters] Weekly Update for March 2, 2008

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 28 00:09:17 CST 2008

  For those of you not on Bob McChesney's e-list...

Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org> wrote:   To: mediamatters at lists.prairienet.org
From: Andrew Ó Baoill <andrew at funferal.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:37:29 -0600
Subject: [Mediamatters] Weekly Update for March 2, 2008

Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media Matters email update!

THIS WEEK'S GUEST
-------------------------------
This week our guest is Alex Gibney, 2008 Academy Award winner for
Best Documentary Feature for his film Taxi to the Dark Side. Gibney
received his first Academy Award nomination for "Enron: The Smartest
Guys in the Room," which he wrote, produced and directed. Taxi to the
Dark Side, which was filmed in Afghanistan, Guantanamo Bay, and
various U.S. locations, is Gibney's directorial follow-up to "Enron"
and made its world premiere at the 2007 Tribeca Film Festival, where
it won the Grand Jury Prize for Best Documentary.

At the Sundance Film Festival this year, Gibney premiered another
documentary feature he directed about Hunter Thomspon entitled
"Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson" and which will
be released theatrically by Magnolia Pictures.

Taxi to the Dark Side is an investigation into the reckless abuse of
power by the Bush Administration. By probing the homicide of an
innocent taxi driver at the Bagram Air Force Base in Afghanistan, the
film exposes a worldwide policy of detention and interrogation that
condones torture and the abrogation of human rights.

UPCOMING GUESTS
-------------------------------

Upcoming guests include Greg Mitchell, Mark Weisbrot (16 March), FCC
Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein (23 March), Patrick Cockburn, Joseph
Stiglitz.

LAST WEEK'S SHOW
-------------------------------

Last week our guest was Glen Ford, executive director of Black Agenda
Report.

http://www.blackagendareport.com

WHERE TO LISTEN TO MEDIA MATTERS
Media Matters originates from WILL-AM on the campus of the University
of Illinois, airing live from 1-2pm Central Time on Sunday
afternoons. Listeners are welcomed to pose questions to guests by
calling (217) 333-9455 or (800) 222-9455 during the show.

Media Matters can also be heard on the following stations:
KWMD-FM, Kasilof Alaska
- live at 10am Sunday, repeated 7pm Monday
- 90.7FM (Soldotna), 104.5 (Anchorage)

Valley Free Radio, WXOJ-LP, Northampton, Massachusetts
- 12pm Wednesday
- 103.3 FM
http://www.valleyfreeradio.org/

If you know of other stations airing Media Matters - or you plan to
broadcast the show yourself - please let us know so we can add you to
the list.

Media Matters is streamed live online. Check will.illinois.edu for
details.

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://www.will.illinois.edu/am/mediamatters/
Our podcast is also available from NPR:
http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_detail.php?siteId=5183226

MEDIA MATTERS UPDATES VIA TWITTER

You can now get notice of our upcoming guests via twitter. Just
subscribe to 'mediamatters' updates: http://twitter.com

NUTS and BOLTS
Bob McChesney's Media Matters show airing Sundays 1-2pm Central Time
on WILL-AM 580. If you do not wish to receive messages from
this list, email listproc at lists.prairienet.org.

If you know others who might want to be on this list, you
can direct them to http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/
for a link to the subscription service, or you can email
andrew at funferal.org

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be
useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage
everyone you know with an interest in the media to listen to
the show and subscribe to the list. If you have any
questions or suggestions on how to improve what we do with
this list, please email producer Andrew Ó Baoill at
andrew at funferal.org

Thanks again for listening!

--
Andrew Ó Baoill