RE: [Peace-discuss] Kucinich…

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jan 4 19:25:17 CST 2008

Paul Street, a Chicago activist who has written about Obama more incisively and in more detail than practically any one else in the American media, here applies his not inconsiderable analytic powers to Kucinich and makes explicit the vague unease I've felt about him, ever since Alex Cockburn (among others) championed him in his struggles as mayor of Cleveland, thirty years ago.

Where a clear understanding of class politics should be in Kucinich -- e.g., from his struggles with the utilities in
Cleveland -- there is instead a vague New-Agey moralism.  That seems to allow him to go into the tank for Kerry (in November 2004) and for Obama now (instead of Edwards).

Extolling the virtues of one's spouse seems a counsel of despair for any candidate, Clinton as well as Kucinich...  (Incidentally, in regard to the "Catholic minority" in the UK, more people attend Catholic churches than Anglican on any given Sunday there. And the the UK's most celebrated new Catholic -- the mass-murderer Blair -- hardly sets a high standard of political morality.)

I have friends of an old Left persuasion who think Kucinich, on the evidence of his recent behavior in presidential campaigns, is a conscious and cynical stalking horse whose job is to encapsulate and therefore prevent any challenge from the Left to a typically hypocritical Democratic candidate ("talk Left, move Right").  I don't think that that's his motive, nor that he's a hypocrite, but I do think that they may be right on what used to be called the "objective effect" of his actions.  --CGE