[Peace-discuss] Best geopolitical analysis

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 10:03:10 CST 2008

At 09:20 PM 1/3/2008, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>[For my money, Perry Anderson is the best contemporary historian
>working.  His two volumes from the 1970s, Passages from Antiquity to
>Feudalism and Lineages of the Absolutist State, are simply the best things
>I read in years of studying and teaching history. The following is a
>brilliant summary of the contemporary political situation, at once
>sweeping and insightful.  ("Conjuncture," btw, is just a term of art
>meaning a combination of events; "situation" is a weaker synonym.)  So
>it's all the more appalling that Anderson buys so much of Mearsheimer and
>Walt -- he doesn't go so far as to repeat their assertion that oil had
>nothing to do with the invasion of Iraq -- and ignores the USG's
>geopolitical motives for the invasion, the background of which he has set
>out so clearly.  I could teach an entire seminar on this article in the
>new semester ... more to the point, we could build a real anti-war
>movement on it.  --CGE]

I'm curious what you as a historian, Carl, think of Naomi Klein's "The
Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism", which I've mentioned I'm
reading.  While I've undoubtedly not read nearly as many
politico-historical tomes as you have, for me it sums up the Big Picture of
the latter half of the 20th century (though Viet Nam is something of a
glaring omission), and on into this one, probably better than anything I've
ever read.  Your thoughts?

John Wason