[Peace-discuss] The GWOT: The phony Global War on Terror

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Jan 9 18:21:02 CST 2008

A few lines from this compelling essay by Tom Englehardt, who was
perhaps stimulated by listening to the largely vacuous Presidential
debates. Find it at

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2008/01/09/6260/

It is fascinating to compare this article to the so erudite one by
Perry Anderson, On the Conjuncture

  http://www.newleftreview.org/?page=article&view=2695  ,

which Carl introduced to this list: They describe different outlooks
on the current Conjuncture.

 From Seattle to Tampa, Toledo to Dallas, fear of terrorism became a
ruling passion — as well as a pure money-maker for the mini-homeland-
industrial complex that grew up around the new Department of Homeland
Security. A thriving industry of private security firms, surveillance
outfits, and terror consultants was suddenly among us. With its help,
the United States would be locked-down in an unprecedented way — and
to do that, we would also have to lock down the planet by any means
necessary. We would fight “them” everywhere else, as the President
would say again and again, so as not to fight them here.

…Ask yourself honestly: Can you imagine a future America without a
Department of Homeland Security? Can you imagine a new administration
ending the global lockdown that has become synonymous with Americanism?

The Bush administration will go, but the job it’s done on us won’t.
That is the sad truth of our presidential