[Peace-discuss] Pitfalls of identity politics

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jan 14 23:20:06 CST 2008

I have no brief for Obama, who I've thought for a while is a fraud (see "Illinois Anti-Warriors and the Attractive Senator" <http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook09292005.html>).

But Hillary is at least as bad.  In a well-run state, she'd be visiting her husband, in prison for war-crimes in
the Hague.

It's a testimony to how sophisticated our primary system is -- how far it is from democracy and how well it avoids any real political discussion -- that it will present us with an election in November between two PRO-war candidates, even though a majority in the country has been anti-war for some time.  That's an accomplishment beyond the dream of the crude 20th-century totalitarianisms. (And that minority in the country, the self-regarding "educated" classes, are complicit with this outcome.) --CGE