[Peace-discuss] Pitfalls of identity politics

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 23:49:29 CST 2008

MY answer related to yr posting. I don't see how yrs relates to mine.

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:  I have no brief for Obama, who I've thought for a while is a fraud (see "Illinois Anti-Warriors and the Attractive Senator" ).

But Hillary is at least as bad. In a well-run state, she'd be visiting her husband, in prison for war-crimes in
the Hague.

It's a testimony to how sophisticated our primary system is -- how far it is from democracy and how well it avoids any real political discussion -- that it will present us with an election in November between two PRO-war candidates, even though a majority in the country has been anti-war for some time. That's an accomplishment beyond the dream of the crude 20th-century totalitarianisms. (And that minority in the country, the self-regarding "educated" classes, are complicit with this outcome.) --CGE