[Peace-discuss] Naomi Shihab Nye's poem for the buses?

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 23 15:05:19 CST 2008

>   I really dig this poet, but did not realize that we
>   are still considering putting it up in both Arabic
>   and English, or are we? Barbara

Ah, I see how my message did imply Arabic. I meant to say that our signs would be in the same spirit as the signs in Richmond, but not the same manner. Richmond did well to take something so simple and well-known to put it in Arabic and then point out that people are being programmed to mistrust, but I am not sure this type of message is what we are trying to say with the poetry, or maybe we are but in a way that is a bit more subtle. Maybe sometime we could do something in Arabic, but I think this one just in English.

-karen medina