[Peace-discuss] The Kennedys' fake liberalism, then and now

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Wed Jan 30 21:07:48 CST 2008

Carl,
   First, there never has been any real Left-leaning liberalism in America that took hold of the
mainstream political discourse in America---even the Progressive movement at the start of the 20th
century failed at creating that.  But, since WWII made America the hegemonic global power rather than
just a regional power---with the rest of the "civilized" world in tattered ruins---a Left-leaning
imperialism was never going to materialize without at least a strong consensus liberalism surviving and
thriving in spite of the pressure to militarize.  I think this is the real meaning behind Ike's cryptic
farewell speech in 1961.  So, consider the appropriate standards I am employing here in judging the
various Administrations.  If your measuring stick is a very principled Left-leaning liberalism, I don't
think we can adequately assess the progression and the machinations of our odious militaristic state.
That said, Kennedy was the most liberal President we have had since Truman without a doubt.  Yes, LBJ
passed the Great Society but his radical escalation of Vietnam through the manufactured Gulf of Tonkin
as well as the vicious repression of race riots and student protests mitigates that accomplishment.
Also, the virtual destruction of Great Society programs today more generally as a result of Reagan, Bush
I, Clinton, and Bush II makes the point null and void.

I think you also underestimate the importance of the unique inner dynamics of the Kennedy White
House.  I never have tried to indicate that the Kennedys were anything other than managers and
stewards of an imperial, expansionist state.  They were not progressives, and with the exception of RFK
during moments in 1968, never spoke that way in their rhetoric.  They were liberal-minded imperial
stage managers and ruthlessly practical politicians who would appeal to the liberal intelligencia of the
day in media and academia----people like Lippmann and Hofstadter who would be viewed as pinkos in
today's media right-wing discourse.  The Cuban Missile Crisis was largely saved by backroom
negotiations between Kennedy and Kruschev---if anything, the madness of the CIA and the Joint Cheifs
shows up in the EXCOM meetings of the Cuban Missile Crisis most poignantly of all.  Kennedy,
supported only by Sorenson and his younger brother, really had to play a careful game.  The Cuban
Missile Crisis nearly occasioned a military coup---Kennedy had to work with those people and assuade
and placate them.  I don't think Kennedy was some dove fighting a moral crusade against them, nor do
I think he was reckless in discharging the Cuban Missile Crisis considering the presence of nuts like
Lemnitzer and LeMay who placed heavy pressure on the President to go to nuclear war.  I think JFK's
pragmatism and his willingness to talk to Kruschev (who himself was facing hawks similar to our Joint
Chiefs at the same time as Kennedy was) really made the critical difference in staving off a nuclear
holocaust.  I think you have to look at the Kennedy years more generally in a wider context---Kennedy
was as good as we progressives were going to get...  Things are far worse now than then---at least
then we had the pretense of following international law and engaging in a multilateral, realist foreign
policy.  The whole reason JFK was assassinated was that he didn't view a major escalation in Vietnam as
a prudent policy----the detailed archival work of Peter Dale Scott and especially John Newman really
bear this out.

This segues to one final point----we cannot look at politics by only judging individual leaders.  We
tend to personalize political eras and particular administrations, but we also must situate them within
broader ideological, political, and cultural contexts.  Administrations also are complex and function not
so much as a direct reflection of a President's peculiar temperment and personality; but as an
amalagamation of bureaucratic relationships amongst competing departments, personalities, and
interest groups that also have a fair degree of private motives and autonomy (insofar as there is some
divsersity amongst interests working for the ruling classes primarily) within the framework of
government operations.

Best,
 Nick