[Peace-discuss] The Kennedys' fake liberalism, then and now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 31 00:01:38 CST 2008

I didn't realize that my goal in these discussions was to cheer you up,
John.  I though we were trying to see what's really going on, through
the obfuscation of the most sophisticated PR system in history, the US
media.  (Hitler wrote in My Struggle that the reason Germany lost WWI
was that their propaganda wasn't as good as the Brits'; he promised that
Germany wouldn't make that mistake again, but the US system far
surpasses anything 20th century Germans were capable of.)

In fact this country is far more civilized than it was in JFK's time,
largely owing to the social movements that got underway at that time
("the sixties") and in fact expanded in the next decade (the '70s being
by far the most progressive decade since WWII). That's why the "excesses
of the '60s and '70s" have to be calumniated by politicians on all sides
-- as Obama did last week. The criticism that grew up then had to be
countered by one of the great ideological rectification campaigns in US
history, comparable to and more extensive than the Palmer Raids and
McCarthyism (both synecdoches -- the repressive movements indicated by
those names were not owing to one man). Neoliberalism -- worse, the
"Reagan revolution" -- are the poor names we have for it.

Even though the Bush II admin may be the most dangerous in US history,
it is nevertheless far more circumscribed in its evil-doing than
Kennedy's was. The Kennedy-Johnson admin conducted a much more murderous
war in a area peripheral to US interests, and for years with no
appreciable domestic dissent. Bush launched a war at the center of US
foreign policy concerns only after the most massive anti-war
demonstrations in history, and he'll leave office universally reviled in
spite of a narrow military success (i.e, the US will continue in
effective control of ME energy resources).

The casual murder and mayhem that Kennedy ordered throughout Latin
America became more difficult, even by Reagan's time.  When the Reagan
administration announced that their foreign policy would be a "War on
Terror" in 1981, they had in mind invading Central America as Kennedy
had invaded SE Asia -- but they found they couldn't do it.  Reagan's
foreign policy was driven underground ("Iran-Contra") by the US anti-war
movement, most of it church-based.  Reagan killed hundreds of thousands,
but now the Bush people (mostly Reagan people) can't even do that,
except on the periphery (Haiti).  A self-aware Latin America and
domestic criticism would prevent it.

The American ruling class is not stupid. The right-wing counter-attack
since ca. 1980 was absolutely necessary from their POV, because of the
success of popular criticism from the '60s on.  But people are not
fools, either.  In spite of that massive PR system, they have some idea
of what's going on in the country, however much the chattering classes
try to speak for them.  That's what keeps our rulers awake at night. The
only real fantasy is found in the public arena of that PR system, the
media. ("The rascal multitude are the proper targets of the mass media
and a public education system geared to obedience and training in needed
skills, including the skill of repeating patriotic slogans on timely
occasions.")

That's what those of us with the leisure to read and write, listen and
talk, should be attacking.  As (of course) Noam Chomsky said, "If you
assume that there's no hope, you guarantee that there will be no hope.
If you assume that there is an instinct for freedom, there are
opportunities to change things, there's a chance for you to contribute
to making a better world. That's your choice."

And it is.  --CGE