[Peace-discuss] Re: not voting

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Jan 31 00:21:52 CST 2008

John W. wrote:
> ...you tell the rest of us NOT to vote...

No, I don't. Voting seems to me a prudential decision -- "one small step
for a man, one giant leap for mankind"  -- and our rulers are vitally
concerned that that leap not go in the wrong direction.

In a well-run system like ours, voting gives the illusion of choice
without the reality.  "The people can vote for whoever they want," said
Boss Tweed of Tammany Hall long ago. "I control the nominations."

I was just objecting to Karen's assertion that not voting implied assent
to the system.  For many Americans, the choice not to vote grows out of
the notion that it doesn't matter much, and it's hard to say that
they're wrong. --CGE