[Peace-discuss] Inclusive Presidential Debates

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 9 13:33:48 CDT 2008

The typical discussion in the midst of the 2004 election apparently went as follows:

   POLLSTER: Have you heard anything about George Bush's position on the Kyoto
Protocol?
   BUSH VOTER: No.
   POLLSTER: Do you think President Bush would support the Kyoto Protocol?
   BUSH VOTER: What's the Kyoto Protocol?
   POLLSTER: It's an international agreement to reduce greenhouse gasses that
seem to cause climate change.
   BUSH VOTER: Well, that sounds like a good idea, so I'm sure George Bush would
support it.
   POLLSTER: Why are you sure?
   BUSH VOTER: Because Bush is a good man with good values, so he'd certainly do
the right thing on a matter like that.
   POLLSTER: So you're sure he'd support the Kyoto Protocol?
   BUSH VOTER: Yes.

A *majority* of people who voted for Bush in 2004 answered like that.  (Some of
them of course had heard of the Kyoto Protocol.)  --CGE