[Prairiegreens-org] Re: [Peace-discuss] Inclusive Presidential Debates

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 22:18:34 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 1:33 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:

The typical discussion in the midst of the 2004 election apparently went as
> follows:
>
>  POLLSTER: Have you heard anything about George Bush's position on the
> Kyoto Protocol?
>  BUSH VOTER: No.
>  POLLSTER: Do you think President Bush would support the Kyoto Protocol?
>  BUSH VOTER: What's the Kyoto Protocol?
>  POLLSTER: It's an international agreement to reduce greenhouse gasses that
> seem to cause climate change.
>  BUSH VOTER: Well, that sounds like a good idea, so I'm sure George Bush
> would support it.
>  POLLSTER: Why are you sure?
>  BUSH VOTER: Because Bush is a good man with good values, so he'd certainly
> do the right thing on a matter like that.
>  POLLSTER: So you're sure he'd support the Kyoto Protocol?
>  BUSH VOTER: Yes.
>
> A *majority* of people who voted for Bush in 2004 answered like that.
>  (Some of them of course had heard of the Kyoto Protocol.)  --CGE

This gets more hilarious by the minute.  I've been the pollee in a fair
number of polls, both on the phone and in person, and there is NEVER a
conversation like this.  The pollster reads the question from an approved
questionnaire, and you answer yes or no.  Not only does the pollster not ASK
clarifying questions, but you can't even DRAW said pollster into any sort of
discussion of the real issues by saying such things as, "Hmmm....the way
this is phrased, I don't agree with ANY of the choices."  So Carl, where
exactly did this "apparent" conversation take place?  In your febrile mind?

In an earlier post on this thread you refused as usual to admit that
Americans are stupid, but a sentence or two later you stated that they had
been "infantilized".  I'm afraid I don't understand the difference, or
rather feel that it's a distinction without much of a difference.  I prefer
Jenifer's term, "ignorant".  And the reason I (and apparently Jenifer) think
that most Americans are ignorant is because they're not INTERESTED in
politics or public affairs or history or even geography, failing most of the
time to understand what it has to do with their daily lives.  Why are
Americans so frightfully easy to infantilize, Carl?  Why is it so
frightfully easy for our government and media to "manufacture their
consent", essentially the SAME consent over and over and over again using
the SAME lies and propaganda?

I see it in the Xanga blogosphere.  I see it on my high school reunion
forum.   I see it everywhere I go with the exception of small groups of
"progressives" in C-U who already agree with one another:  The "average"
American wants to believe vapid cliches about the goodness and specialness
of the U.S. of A.   And the more cliched the sentiment the more inclined
s/he is to embrace it.

 Right, no reason for those comfy/uncomfy, settled in or not, televiewing