[Peace-discuss] Inclusive Presidential Debates

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Jul 8 21:37:22 CDT 2008

[If not "truly inclusive," this would be at least more inclusive than any other
so far proposed.  I await The Nation's enthusiastic acceptance.  --CGE]

	Iran's Ahmadinejad challenges Obama, McCain to debate
	Jul 8 08:11 AM US/Eastern

Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Tuesday challenged the candidates vying
for the US presidency to a debate and called for "fundamental change" in the
next US government.

Ahmadinejad said he would be willing to meet with Democratic candidate Barack
Obama, who has taken fire from his opponents over his offer to talk -- if
elected president -- with the leaders of several US foes including Iran.

"I announce my readiness to meet with all the (US presidential) candidates of
the United States in front of the media," the Iranian president told a press
conference at the D8 summit of developing nations.

"To build confidence in the region (we need) to have fundamental change in the
next US government," he added. Ahmadinejad has previously challenged Bush to a
debate at the United Nations.

The Iranian leader also called for United States military bases across the world
to be "eradicated".

"The greatest threat in the Middle East and to countries in the world is US
intervention," he said. "The military bases in the whole world should be
eradicated and removed."

Ahmadinejad, who is embroiled in a wrangle with the West over Iran's nuclear
enrichment programme, called on the major powers to "withdraw from animosity and
hostile actions against us".

"Justice, peace and friendship is also to their benefit," he said.

He reiterated that his country would not pull back from its nuclear ambitions
and called on Washington to withdraw its troops from Iraq.

"No one in Iran will go back from our nuclear position," he said. "We want
dialogue for the benefit of all sides but within the framework of law and justice"

"To rebuild confidence, the US must withdraw its forces from Iraq and allow the
fate of the people of Iraq and regional countries to be written by the hands of
their own people," he said.

Copyright AFP 2008.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=080708121056.0qkkhodl&show_article=1