[Peace-discuss] The USG, Iraq and oil

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 9 22:35:23 CDT 2008

"Iraq contains perhaps the second largest oil reserves in the world, which are,
furthermore, very cheap to extract ... For US planners, it is imperative that
Iraq remain under U.S. control ... as an obedient client state that will also
house major U.S. military bases, right at the heart of the world's major energy
reserves.  That these were the primary goals of the invasion was always clear
enough through the haze of successive pretexts...

"... the huge air bases now being built around the country, and the 'embassy' in
Baghdad, a city within a city, unlike any embassy in the world ... are not being
constructed to be abandoned ... 'we invaded you so that we can control your
country and have privileged access to your resources'...

"The Bush administration's 'regime change' policy toward Iran comes with ominous
threats of force (there Bush is joined by both US presidential candidates)...

"In fact, the whole invasion is a war crime — indeed the supreme international
crime, differing from other war crimes in that it encompasses all the evil that
follows, in the terms of the Nuremberg judgment. This is among the topics that
can't be discussed, in the presidential campaign or elsewhere. Why are we in
Iraq? What do we owe Iraqis for destroying their country? The majority of the
American people favor US withdrawal from Iraq. Do their voices matter?"

Uh, yeah.  Really.  --CGE