[Peace-discuss] Progressive shock doctrine

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Thu Jul 10 16:17:26 CDT 2008

Illyes wrote:
>     would be a very good time to REALLY crank up the heat
>     on the government to get out of the war business.

If I understand the shock doctrine, while the public is reeling from a disaster, the government pushes through legislation that the public would under normal conditions not support. The legislation wears the cloak of solving the problem that created the disaster.

So, if Bob's idea of a progressive shock doctrine is to be put into motion, the moving out of the war business needs a cloak.

=)

Off the cuff: Bring the military home to work on the family farms (not the industry farms) -- the government will pay their salaries for one year on the farm. The farmers can use the labor for that year to transform their monoculture crops into a more balanced and environmentally healthy multi-cultured garden-like farm. They could switch from oil intensive practices to human-powered job-producing practices. The military can bring their families to help work on the farm as well, and live in the barn.

=)

Seriously though, do we need a cloak? If so, then which cloak?