[Peace-discuss] Obama finks on FISA (& even Hillary doesn't)]

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 11 12:49:05 CDT 2008

Don't you see though that it doesn't make much difference?  Worse yet, the
presidential campaign is a distraction from real politics, and that's what it's
meant to be.

If the populace (or rather that minority in the chattering classes) is
distracted by Obama v. McCain, the USG can continue with its policies without
any interference from what liberal journalist Walter Lippmann (d. 1974) called
"ignorant and meddlesome outsiders" whose "function" is to be only "interested
spectators of action," periodically selecting members of the leadership class in
elections, then returning to their private concerns.  (Lippmann, founder of The
New Republic magazine, argued that "the public must be put in its place," so
that the "responsible men" may rule without interference; the herd of citizens
must be governed by “a specialized class whose interests reach beyond the
locality.")

And those policies will remain essentially the same -- that is, the USG will
continue to kill roughly the same sorts of people -- regardless which man
becomes president.  Do you really think that the killing would have been much
different if Kerry had become president in 2005?  Or Gore in 2001? (Gore pressed
Clinton to attack Serbia; the Neocons, representing one end of the narrow USG
policy spectrum, were originally Democrats.)  --CGE

--"If they can get you asking the wrong questions [viz., McCain or Obama?], they
don't have to worry about answers." --Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow

--"The people can vote for whoever they want: I control the nominations."
--William M. Tweed (Boss Tweed), head of Tammany Hall, the Democratic Party
political machine in 19th-century New York