[Peace-discuss] Iran scare

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 16 00:57:59 CDT 2008

[1] A lame-duck president has limited resources to compel actions, particularly
military actions, that powerful subordinates oppose.  (Kissinger arranged for
Nixon's military orders to be ignored in his final days.)  Suppose instead of
carrying out an order to attack Iran, flag officers (and/or a defense secretary)
resign -- and say why.  Even the threat of that might deter an attack.

[2] It's not clear which candidate an Iran attack would help (as they well
know).  Note the new ABC/WP poll that already puts McCain ahead of Obama as
CINC. An attack might lower rather than raise that percentage. OTOH Obama has
always approved of an attack on Iran under certain circumstances.

[3] This administration has throughout its history been quite rational -- in the
sense of fitting means to ends -- in pursuit of its vicious goals.  It's only
clear irrationality -- the colossal botch of the occupation -- was the almost
exclusive responsibility of the DOD troika, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and Feith ("the
stupidest fucking guy in the universe," acc. to Gen Franks), and they were
dismissed for it.

But of course prediction in these matters is nearly impossible.  All we can do
is give as good an account as possible of what the current situation is.  This
article seems to me to do a better job of that than most.  --CGE