[Peace-discuss] Benny Morris in NYT

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 18 20:37:02 CDT 2008

Shall we, therefore, devote our time to urging greater sincerity in Washington?

It's better to try to understand what's going on than to retain our comforting
but inaccurate prejudices -- e.g., the administration does what it does because
Bush is stupid; the Democrats are good and will save us; etc.

It's been an ethical commonplace at least since the Greeks that, without an
accurate analysis of a situation, the best will in the world will take
appropriate action only by accident. --CGE