[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette article Boardman ART Theater

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Jul 21 13:17:55 CDT 2008

...dont know Robert well enough to catch the joke... oh, well.

Our family is a frequent user of the Urbana Free Library but we always
go after the parking meters are off-line for the evening,
which suits our schedule anyway.

The worst part about the parking meters is that I seldom have enough
coins, don't go downtown often enough to have a "pre-paid key",
and usually end up getting the $15.00 version of the tax for my
foolishness in visiting the downtown of Urbana by car.
The fact that they police the meters frequently indicates the intent of
the program is to get my $15 which angers me
into not going back to fall into the trap again.

I don't go to downtown Champaign businesses so I don't know the situation.
Well, that's not exactly true.  I did buy a Maytag washer and dryer from
Robeson's
as recently as 1978 but I am told that Robeson's is no longer in business.
And I did have a breakfast meeting at MerryAnn's a few weeks ago but was
careful to feed the meter
which I did with spiteful regret and some luck that I got back to it
with quarters before "Lovely Rita" got there with her computer.

The baffling thing to me since I first saw an /enforced/ parking meter
in 1972, at age 18, is that the sheeple who live
in these towns permit their governments to have parking meters.  (We had
parking meters  in my hometown but nobody paid
any attention to them much so they took them out.)  I still find it
incredible that the forefathers tossed
tea into Boston Harbour, yet this act of aggression against motorists is
permitted.