[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette article Boardman ART Theater

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Jul 21 16:46:04 CDT 2008

I have no disagreement with Bob's comments on the increase in the fees, as
well as with the notion that places like Chicago get those fees and even
more so it is justified in Champaign. My comments were mainly directed
toward addressing the extension of hours into the evening.  Obviously,
making downtown a place primarily for the wealthy is an objective of the
establishment and what they mean when they keep referring to the "creative
classes," which use to be called the "yuppies."  Unfortunately many of those
"creative class" members are directly and indirectly affiliated with the
University and are concerned with their own special class interests and
bourgeois desires (i.e. sidewalk cafes, bike paths and racks, trendy tapas
bars, etc.) and less with the needs of the poor members of community
(service and governmental service centers, drug stores and affordable
grocery stores - as opposed to high priced gourmet and organic groceries as
in the case of the one in the old Burnham development - reasonably priced
clothing and furniture stores as opposed to expensive bars and restaurants
that cater to the "creative class") close to where they live.

With respect to the issue that Ricky brought up, it depends on what time
period one is looking at.  There was a period in the past in and around the
1960's when landlords got tax deductions for loses from unrented rentals,
which served as incentive for them not to want to rent out space for less
than top dollar.  While the tax laws have changed, I am sure that vacancies
may still furnish some benefits to landlords - especially in the desirable
locations; otherwise, I think we would see more objections to the
development of new rental properties of the sorts we are seeing.  This
argument, of course, does not preclude the incompetence argument.