[Peace-discuss] News-Gazette article Boardman ART Theater

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 21 15:58:39 CDT 2008

Re Laurie's equity argument- my point was partly regarding equity. Parking
meters cost the same for the wealthy and for the poor. It is better to keep
the fees low, consequently, since as a proportion of income they may be
unacceptable for the poor but negligible for the wealthy. Of course, if you
want the downtown to be for the wealthy only, high fees are the way to go,
as I tried to explain. I side with equity in this case.

Re Ricky's empty building question- one explanation would be 2nd or 3rd
generation money in the hands of someone who was basically incompetent. I
one time tried to rent an office off of someone who didn't seem to be
playing with a full deck. He was leaving the offices empty hoping for a big
tenant, he claimed, but I suspected simple incompetence.

It would be interesting to have a map of downtown with owners indicated, as
well as commercial tenants.

Bob