[Peace-discuss] Florida tomato pickers kick double butt

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 1 10:35:13 CDT 2008

Ricky,
  Didn't realize this was going to the whole list, sorry. News to me about machines picking tomatoes for sauce, ketchup, etc... Also specifics re how many lbs (tons) of tomatoes the extremely hard-working workers actually pick... But nothing new about anti-union mentality and behavior of companies, corporations, and school systems (which I have lifetime personal knowledge concerning). That's why I said, it was the "uh, principle" of the thing (meaning that companies, corporations, school boards are UNprincipled).
   --Jenifer

Ricky Baldwin <baldwinricky at yahoo.com> wrote:
  They DO work their butts off - that's really been part of the message,
folks! Each tomato picker has to pick about 2-1/2 TONS of tomatoes BY
HAND each day to make the poverty line ...

But this campaign isn't just about these particular workers, of course.
And 30k bucks isn't the reason BK fought it so hard - any more than
the $150,000 is the reason Taco Bell fought so hard, etc - it's the
PRINCIPLE. Yes, the principle. We cynics on the left sometimes forget
that they matter at all in the nasty dog-eat-dog world of capitalism.
We forget, that is, that principles matter to capitalists. They don't
often show it, you might say. But in fact, thi kind of thing is
EXACTLY where they show that it principles DO matter to them. How many
union campaigns face bosses willing to spend twice or ten times as much
money fighting against the union than they would have spent just
agreeing to all the union's demands? Almost every one I've ever seen.

And, just because you asked, Jenifer, tomatoes for tomato sauce and
such aren't generally picked by hand in Florida, as the slicing
tomatoes are. They usually come from California (for the time being)
and machines pick them (not requiring the human touch, as they'll only
get squashed up anyway).

Thanks for your interest!
Ricky