[Peace-discuss] Florida tomato pickers kick double butt

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 13:29:44 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 10:35 AM, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

Ricky,
> Didn't realize this was going to the whole list, sorry. News to me
> about machines picking tomatoes for sauce, ketchup, etc... Also specifics re
> how many lbs (tons) of tomatoes the extremely hard-working workers actually
> pick... But nothing new about anti-union mentality and behavior of
> companies, corporations, and school systems (which I have lifetime personal
> knowledge concerning). That's why I said, it was the "uh, principle" of the
> thing (meaning that companies, corporations, school boards are
> UNprincipled).
>  --Jenifer

And Ricky is asserting that the companies/corporations DO have principles,
which is why they fought the wage increase to the tomato pickers even though
it amounted to a relatively minuscule amount of money.  Their principle is
to keep the workers weak and subjugated in the interests of greater profits
to be reaped by capital (i.e., management and stockholders).

John