[Peace-discuss] Burdensome stones

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 5 11:33:17 CDT 2008

Wayne quotes

"in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people:
all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces,  though all the
people of the earth be gathered together against it. - Zech 12.3"

to which Bob replies

"In fact, there is no reason for Jerusalem to be a burdensome stone in
our era, nor for anyone to be cut in pieces."

Keep in mind that in the Bible it is only Jesus (as far as I know) who
indicates that some of the things that he says are "parables", i.e., are
not to be taken literally. It is actually quite possible that Zechariah is
engaging in that transcendent medium called Poetry. He won't tell us.

Bob