[Peace-discuss] Bush admin torture policy

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 21:34:08 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 5:09 PM, LAURIE <LAURIE at advancenet.net> wrote:

Well, if they weren't, we would never have been in these wars and Bush would
> not have been re-elected.  Arguably, there would be an influx of anti-war
> floats in the July 4th parade, protesting the war rather than celebrating
> wars and the military, patriotic duty to support the troops while they
> engage in maiming and killing in the name of making the world safe for
> Democracy and U.S. corporations, among numerous other inane things like
> capitalism (i.e., the JM Jones and two trucks) rather than merely the birth
> of the country.  Also arguably, if the public were not idiots, we would not
> need to even have a float - never mind one that presents them with anti-war
> heroes and people of courage to stand up against their government's wrong
> doing.
>
> I am willing to wager that if you polled most of the public on the names
> that
> you are proposing, over half would not know who the hell you are talking
> about and half of those would not get the message even if you conveyed it
> on
> the float.  Before you can get their attention to educate them, you have to
> get their interest and the easiest way is through things that they have
> some
> familiarity with. I doubt if many know who the hell Major General Antonio
> Taguba, USA (Ret.) is or that he was not in support of the administration
> stand.

Absolutely right, Laurie.  Even Scott Ritter, who is well known to just
about everyone on this list, is not by any means a household name in the
vast majority of American households.  Ditto Amy Goodman, Norman
Finkelstein, et all.  This AWARE list comprises a terribly rarefied group.

There are also different educational contexts.  A parade float is
inappropriate for anything but the very broadest and shallowest of
educational constructs.

Carl, you really, really, really need to get out among the fellaheen more.

John Wason