[Peace-discuss] Bush admin torture policy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 20 09:11:02 CDT 2008

John--

Your animus against your background would be better employed in attempting to
understand US society and politics than in constructing fantasies about mine.

Your primary objection to my views is that I don't have a low enough estimate of
the capacity and understanding of the people you say you come from.

Let's take an example: you write that they "believe with all of their shallow
'Christian' hearts that Israel can do no wrong because the Jews are God's chosen
people."

In fact it's the USG (Republican and Democrat) that has promoted (and corrupted)
the government of Israel for forty years because it's useful for US geopolitical
schemes in the Middle East.  But our tame media have claimed that US support for
Israel is theological and have highlighted various Christian Zionists.  And
you've believed those media.

What are the facts? There's a group at the U. of Maryland, the Program on
International Policy Attitudes, that has done in-depth studies of people's
attitudes towards Israel and Palestine, but they are rarely reported because the
conclusions run counter to the fantasy promoted by the government and media.

The PIPA studies find that two-thirds of Americans believe that, far from Jews
having an exclusive right to Palestine, there should be two equal states in
historic Palestine (the solution the USG has been blocking since the 1970s).

A large majority of people in the US think we should cut off aid to either of
the two parties, Israel or the Palestinians, if they refuse to enter into
goodwill negotiations. The same large majority favors establishing a "nuclear
weapons-free zone in the Middle East that would include both Islamic countries
and Israel."

That's not what Rush and Fox tell you about American attitudes.  So whom are you
going to believe?  --CGE