[Peace-discuss] Obama's perfidy on FISA

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Jun 27 14:29:31 CDT 2008

Stuart (and John),

> > If I understand it correctly, the telecoms didn't initiate illegal
> > wiretapping or spying all on their own.  They were ordered to do it
> by the
> > government, under FISA and some national security rationale.
>

> They were somehow asked to do it by the gov't, though not under FISA,
> right?  If the requests had been FISA-approved there'd be no question
> that
> they were legal.

I believe that Stuart is correct; and if my memory is correct, some of the
telecoms were carrying out such activities in compliance with government
requests without FISA-court approval even before the Act in question was
passed into law (legal or illegal). There probably have been a set of
informal agreements to pass along information and records to government law
enforcement and security agencies prior to 9/11; they may have been
formalized to a greater extent after 9/11 but prior to the passage of the
Act in question.  The Act in question just attempted to formalize,
legitimate, and make less secret these activities as possibilities without
recognizing or identifying specifics of the interdependencies.