[Peace-discuss] Obama's perfidy on FISA

Laurie Solomon laurie1942 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 27 14:32:15 CDT 2008

I don't think I said that the telecoms were "asleep at the switch" as being
the reason that they failed to challenge the government - or at least, I did
not intend to imply such a reason.  I think that the decisions to comply and
not challenge the government requests were deliberate, made knowingly with
full and complete knowledge of the companies and their legal advisors, and
as you suggest with some expectation that  "some concessions would be given
and the telecoms participated enthusiastically as a result of some quid pro
quo."  As Stuart notes, the fact that Qwest refused to comply and decided to
challenge the government request indicates to me that the companies saw that
they had some options and made their decisions based on their evaluation of
the cost benefits of complying versus not complying.

If I have misinterpreted to whom your reply was being directed, I apologize.