[Peace-discuss] Doonesbury's language

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 30 11:51:28 CDT 2008

G. B. Trudeau's long-running comic strip is usually the most intelligent and
progressive commentary in the newspapers in which it appears, but it seems to me
that, for all the distinctiveness of the strip's visual style (it's drawn by
someone else, I think), Trudeau's ear is his real talent, not his eye.  He has
for years captured the argot of people far removed from him in age and station
-- e.g., student generations not his own.

He's done a particularly good job with political and military language.  Witness
Sunday's strip: