[Peace-discuss] Re: [ucprogressives] Fw: RELEASE: $1 million Anti-Teachers Union Campaign Begins Today

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 07:16:34 CDT 2008

Having worked for an 'at will' employer all I can say is the concept of
merit pay is a joke. The measurements that employers use to determine job
performance are often based on politics and revenue. In addition many times
when an employee is struggling to perform that can often be traced to issues
with management and training.

Having served on a PTA I can tell you that many individuals who teach in
public schools often have to go out of pocket to purchase the supplies they
need to teach their classes. That is simply wrong. In addition the high
schools are dealing with a student population that is well above the
capacity of what they were designed to address. Centennial High School was
built to serve 1200 students and they are at 1500 last I heard. Now there is
talk about developing alternative programs for kids who fall through the
cracks. What this community needs is another high school. I had to pull my
daughter out of Central High School last fall because the situation became
intolerable for her and she is attending Judah now. I personally believe
that overcrowding made a strong contribution to the troubles she had. She
actually looks forward to going to school now and the smaller class
structures have much to do with that.

It's also worth considering that the quality of a public education is often
something that is influenced by the socioeconomic status of a community.  I
once worked with someone who moved to St. Joseph so she could start a family
in that school system. My cousin and her spouse bought a house in Naperville
so their daughter can have access to the resources there. It's unfortunate
that public education is not necessarily an equal education.

Just my not so humble opinion :D

Marti

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 3:23 AM, John W. <jbw292002 at gmail.com> wrote: There
was an interesting article in Time Magazine a couple of weeks ago about
merit pay for teachers.  Some teachers' unions are beginning to be a bit
open to the concept of merit pay, provided that there's some empirical way
of measuring teacher effectiveness, and it's not just a case of butt-kissing
the principal.