[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [Iran01] Stephen Kinzer on the Fallon 'resignation'

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 14 15:50:11 CDT 2008

RE: Fallon / the administration / the media

I, perhaps like many AWARE members, wish Admiral William Fallon had stayed as head of Central Command and not retired early. If they had been forced to fire him, it would have been better than his resignation. (Or would it have been a dishonorable discharge? -- just curious)

But now maybe Fallon will join Iraq Veterans Against the War!

I dislike how the media was talking about this whole thing, even NPR. They did not look beyond the Iran idea (to find things like the pause) and the media came across as supporting the idea that Fallon was being insubordinate -- isn't it the head of Central Command's job to warn of the risks involved in all actions?

Why did the media not question the administration's/Petraeus's foreign policy as well as Fallon's?

What will happen if they move Petraeus to fill Fallon's position?
RadioFreeEurope says:
"There is now considerable speculation that Petraeus will be promoted to replace Fallon as commander-in-chief of Central Command, and replaced as commander in Iraq by Lieutenant General Ray Odierno, who directed the "surge" on the ground.
http://www.rferl.org/featuresarticle/2008/03/9114A568-2DAD-4FCF-B8BA-8022DFECF19B.html

-karen medina