[Peace-discuss] Banner for Mar 19 vigil: seeking advice and materials!

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 16 01:50:40 CDT 2008

Barbara, Karen and I were talking tonight about banner(s) to make
for the vigil next Wednesday (3/19, 5-6:15pm, Urbana Vets' Memorial).

We're hoping you-all on this list could be a good source for
well-phrased things to say on a banner, remembering that we
are aiming to retain the character of a vigil.
It might be best to have two banners, say one facing
Broadway and one facing Main St.  To start the deal,
here are some we thought of:

   MOURNING 5 YEARS OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION

   OUT OF THE ENDLESS WARS ASAP

   END THE SEASON OF WARS
     AND WELCOME THE SPRING OF PEACE
	(this could be a pair of banners by itself)

   HOW DOES WAR CHANGE US?
    (or WHAT IS WAR DOING TO US?)

We're also looking for banner-making materials.
That probably means a long strip of cloth (or possibly
an old bedsheet we could cut lengthwise),
some sturdy sticks for holding each end,
paint (do we have some left over from last October?),
use of brushes and a staple gun.

In case no one has a sheet to sacrifice to this cause,
anyone have a good suggestion for a fabric source?
Joann fabrics maybe?