[Peace-discuss] Fwd:[City of Champaign News]Roadside Safety

Laurie laurie at advancenet.net
Fri Mar 21 21:45:00 CDT 2008

Before one gets too outraged, one should determine if said uses of safety &
traffic checkpoints by police departments are legal and constitutional with
respect to court decisions; I think that you will find that on the whole
they are as long as they follow certain guidelines.  What has yet to be
determined is if the Champaign instance falls within the approved of
guidelines and if there were any unreasonable and unwarranted searches
beyond what is in plain sight (i.e., searches without cause of closed and
locked trunks, under the seats, and the like).  Do we know if the checks
were arbitrary and capricious stops and checks or did they display any
systematic bias as to who was stopped and checked when or in what fashion as
opposed to either a random stop and check or one where every vehicle passing
by the checkpoint is stopped and checked?

With respect to such activities, one needs to wonder if the newspaper
description is a description with some spin to it (i.e., emphasizing "an
effort to keep impaired drivers off of the roadways) or a literal
description of the full breath of the actions objectives and purposes which
may include efforts to enforce laws pertaining to maintaining valid vehicle
registration and driver's licenses, getting unsafe vehicles or vehicles with
unsafe equipment off the roads, etc.  But even if it were to keep impaired
drivers off the road, what would someone have against that; I am sure the
Mothers Against Drunk Drivers would not find that an objectionable goal. I
think that some of the reaction may be against what some may be projecting
as being underlying unstated goals and objectives of those stops and
checkpoints as well as the timing of them.  However, before going off
halfcocked, I do think one needs to do some in-depth investigating and
research concerning this to make sure that there is evidence of some
malicious underlying goals and objectives behind the operations and their
timing.