[Peace-discuss] There must be a reckoning for this day of infamy

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 22 11:58:02 CDT 2008

I had passed this around on another list. Fantastic article!

Far from being equivocal, Milne is generally the best editorialist at the Guardian, and one of the few voices in a major print daily with any sort of morality about him.

His piece from September 13th, 2001 ("They Can't See Why They're Hated") really resonated with me at the time:

"Nearly two days after the horrific suicide attacks on civilian workers
in New York and Washington, it has become painfully clear that most
Americans simply don't get it. From the president to passersby on the
streets, the message seems to be the same: this is an inexplicable
assault on freedom and democracy, which must be answered with
overwhelming force - just as soon as someone can construct a credible
account of who was actually responsible.Shock,
rage and grief there has been aplenty. But any glimmer of recognition
of why people might have been driven to carry out such atrocities,
sacrificing their own lives in the process - or why the United States
is hated with such bitterness, not only in Arab and Muslim countries,
but across the developing world - seems almost entirely absent. Perhaps
it is too much to hope that, as rescue workers struggle to pull
firefighters from the rubble, any but a small minority might make the
connection between what has been visited upon them and what their
government has visited upon large parts of the world." . . .

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2001/sep/13/september11.britainand911