[Peace-discuss] ron paul on 5 years in Iraq - 23 March08

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at insightbb.com
Fri Mar 28 04:55:10 CDT 2008

On Five Years in Iraq

Five years ago last week, the US military's "shock and awe" campaign lit
up the Baghdad sky. Five years later, with hundreds of thousands of
Iraqis and nearly four thousand Americans dead, we should pause and
reflect on just what has been gained and what has been lost.

 From the beginning, the march to war was paved with false assumptions
and lies. Senior administration officials claimed repeatedly that Iraq
was somehow responsible for the attacks of September 11, 2001. They
claimed that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. They manipulated the
fear of the American people after 9/11 to further a war agenda that they
had been planning years before that attack. The mainstream media was
complicit in this war propaganda.

Nearly ten years ago, long before 9/11, I requested the time in
opposition to the fateful Iraq Liberation Act of 1998, where I then
stated on the Floor of the House of Representatives, "I see this piece
of legislation as essentially being a declaration of virtual war. It is
giving the President tremendous powers to pursue war efforts against a
sovereign Nation." Less than five years later we were invading Iraq .

Five years into the invasion and occupation of Iraq , untold hundreds of
thousands of Iraqis are dead; some two million Iraqis have fled the
country as refugees; and the Iraqi Christian community – one of the
oldest in the world – has been decimated more completely than even under
the Ottoman occupation or the rule of Saddam Hussein.

On the US side, nearly four thousand Americans have lost their lives
fighting in Iraq and many thousands more are horribly wounded. Our own
senior military officers warn that our military is nearly broken by the
strain of the Iraq occupation. The Veterans Administration is
overwhelmed by the volume of disability claims from Iraq war veterans.

A study by Nobel Prize economist Joseph Stiglitz concludes that the cost
of the war in Iraq could be at least $3 trillion. The economic
consequences of our enormous expenditure in Iraq are beginning to make
themselves known as we fall into recession and possibly worse.

Iraq war supporters claim that the "surge" of additional US troops into
Iraq has been a resounding success. I am not so confident. Under the
"surge" policy the United States military has trained and equipped with
deadly weapons those Iraqi militia members against whom they were
fighting just months ago. I fear by arming and equipping opposing
militias we are just setting the stage for a more tragic and dangerous
explosion of violence, possibly aimed at US troops in Iraq . There is no
indication that the Iraqi government has made any political progress
whatsoever.

The sooner we withdraw the better. The invasion and continued US
occupation has strengthened both Iran and Al-Qaeda in the region.
Continuing down the road of a failed policy will only cost more money we
do not have and more lives that should not be sacrificed.
Interventionism has produced one disaster after another. It is time we
return to a non-interventionist foreign policy that emphasizes peaceful
trade and travel and no entangling alliances. We can begin by
withdrawing from Iraq immediately.