[Peace-discuss] Torture referendum

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 31 18:30:51 CDT 2008

Well said, John. I gave up on this after a couple of tries and bless you for hanging in. I think the rewrite helps enormously... and I'd even add "that Bush had vetoed" or "that Bush then (or subsequently) vetoed" depending on the time sequence of the two (my take on it finally is that Johnson's vote preceded Bush's veto, right?) Wonderful that Johnson voted on the side of decency this time!
   --Jenifer

"John W." <jbw292002 at gmail.com> wrote:
  At 11:00 AM 3/31/2008, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>John, your estimate of your fellow-citizens' intelligence is as always
>unnecessarily low.

All I can tell you, Carl - trying to remain civil here - is that I myself
had to read the fucking thing about 5 times to understand what it
said. The bill would have PROHIBITED the CIA from using torture - a
negative. Bush vetoed the bill - a double negative. Johnson apparently
voted to override Bush's veto - either a triple negative, or a
double-double negative, depending on how you look at it. I had to read it
about 5 times, and break it down into its component parts just as I have
here, to determine whether Johnson was for or against torture, and I'm
still not 100% positive. I think he wants to prohibit the CIA from
employing torture, but I'm not sure.

The reason why I asked if Johnson supported the actual anti-torture bill in
the first place is (a) because of my confusion in reading your draft
referendum, and (b) if so, why not just say THAT? Something like, "Given
Representative Timothy Johnson's support for a bill outlawing torture,
which was vetoed by pResident Bush...." ?

But you do what you like. You're a professor. You know everything about
everything. Why, I'll bet there are a couple of studies that prove
empirically in a statistically significant manner that my fellow citizens
are more intelligent, more informed, more patient in reading obscure,
pedantic referenda than I think they are!