[Peace-discuss] Torture referendum

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 31 12:30:52 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 12:07:36PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> How about
>
> 	"Given Representative Timothy Johnson's support for a bill outlawing
> torture, which was vetoed by President Bush, shall the citizens of
> Champaign Township urge all their Congressional representatives to renew
> their efforts to pass such a bill?"

That sounds good, and surely clearer this way.

When we'd talked about this a couple weeks ago, I was uneasy with the
idea of naming our local US Rep, and you'd suggested some language about
"a majority of the US House including our own Representative".  But now
I think it's even better as you have it now.  Offers voter education,
and gives Tim Johnson the right kind of encouragement if it passes
as seems likely.