[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: [ExComm] Fwd: News-Gazette coverage

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Thu May 1 11:22:47 CDT 2008

I don't see what the principled difference is between asking the University
to bar Chief t-shirts from University events and asking the Urbana City
Council to bar Holocaust denial videos from UPTV. It seems to me that
Chancellor Herman's decision was correct on free-speech grounds, and that
asking the University to sever its ties with Homecoming if there are
pro-Chief displays is analogous to asking the Urbana City Council to get rid
of public access if it results in Holocaust denial videos being aired.

If the analogy is imperfect, it seems to me that it is close enough that it
should give us pause.