[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: [ExComm] Fwd: News-Gazette coverage

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu May 1 12:44:32 CDT 2008

Hello Everyone:

I'm not certain that a comparison of UPTV to the U of I homecoming is the
best example of free speech applications. Technically UPTV by positioning
itself as a 'public access' channel is in a position to where they have to
air programs - even the ones that are offensive. Where this becomes
confusing is that the channel is perceived to be funded and supported with
taxpayers dollars and that is where  UPTV's position becomes problematic.
It's my 'limited' understanding that taxpayers dollars don't fund the
channel and it's possible that the agreement with the local cable company,
who provides the signal, prohibits censorship of offensive material.

Homecoming, which is sponsored by the University of Illinois, is funded and
supported by institutional dollars. It's a public event that is privately
controlled and, as such, the U of I is within it's rights to restrict the
use of racist imagery.

Now the 'principled' difference comes down to making a distinction between
public access and homecoming. At the time the FCC was formed back in the
1930's it was designed with the concept that airwaves are public property
and programming decisions were made with fair use policies in place. While a
considerable amount of deregulation occurred in the 1980's the same basic
principle applies. As a public access channel UPTV positions itself as a
station that is essentially 'owned' by the public and the obligation there
is to provide programming that appeals to a wide range of perspectives.

The U of I has specific guidelines in place which limits what can be
expressed in an event such as homecoming. Would it be appropriate for the U
of I to have their parade being led by a person wearing blackface?  I doubt
it.

Now the 'peace movement' does have one very basic weakness locally, and that
it really isn't very well positioned to represent an anti-racist
perspective. As much as I respect and admire my friends in AWARE I can't
overlook the fact that minorities really have not been invited to be part of
the leadership of the peace movement. The few times that I have been able to
attend the representation has been predominately white, middle class,
individuals with ties to the University. This lack of diversity is one of
the fundamental weaknesses that I see within the local peace movement and I
hope my observations don't result in any offense.

Peace, Marti