[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: [ExComm] Fwd: News-Gazette coverage

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu May 1 16:39:35 CDT 2008

AWARE has no "leadership" positions

I stand corrected - however in any organization there are going to be people
who stand out as natural leaders and this may be where the criticisms you
are addressing is derived from.

However, it's an observation that most of the individuals I have seen at
AWARE meetings are predominately white and middle class. While there are a
few individuals who attend both AWARE and CU Citizens for Peace and Justice
the general demographics of AWARE doesn't have a strong minority presence.
At least not in what I have observed. In order for an organization like
AWARE to be more effective in addressing issues of racism and defamation the
group needs to have a more diverse representation of people at their
meetings.  Just saying that 'everyone is welcome to come' is not good
enough.  Some of the literature I've read regarding critical race theory and
social justice movements supports that. In particular writers like Thomas
Nakayama, Stuart Hall, Raka Shome, and other individuals have made some very
astute observations on this issue.

[image: Click Here]<http://www.burstnet.com/ads/ad10263a-map.cgi/ns/v=2.3S/sz=300x250A/>
We
must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.
 Martin Luther King, Jr.