[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Fwd: [ExComm] Fwd: News-Gazette coverage

Morton K. Brussel brussel at uiuc.edu
Thu May 1 21:30:45 CDT 2008

I believe, Marti, that you are not talking from experience in
attending AWARE activities. Yes, the demographics you ascribe to
AWARE "membership" are valid, but you seem unaware of efforts by
AWARE to include minority, African-American, viewpoints and to engage
in common pursuits and interests. It seems that unless an
organization is mostly populated by African-Americans, there will not
be a sustained attendance by the latter. It may be due to class
(economic) differences, cultural differences, religious differences,
educational differences, historical differences, etc., but it is a
general problem to blend smoothly the interests/participation of
blacks and whites.  It seems that among African-Americans, grosso-
modo, that racial problems/conditions/interests are foremost, above
those of foreign affairs or (even) civil rights, and that concern is
not reflected in an organization like AWARE, where race is very
important, but not dominant. As you imply, the matter of
comfortability with ones cohort is essential.

Some thoughts,  --mkb