[Peace-discuss] White mans burden

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri May 2 11:54:40 CDT 2008

I agree with Stuart's comments, but there is a fundamental error in much of
what is being said on this list about race and the peace movement. There is
the assumption that if African-Americans are underrepresented in the peace
movement, it is white people's fault. It may or may not be the main thing
that is relevant.

This assumption is enormously condescending, the idea that white people are
responsible for everything wrong, and that it is our responsibility to fix
it all. It harkens back to what I believe was called "the white mans burden".

Come on, you guys! Black folks are just as responsible and capable as white
folks, and this racist finger-pointing buys us nothing that we want.

Bob