[Peace-discuss] On AWARE's place in the community

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri May 2 13:17:26 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:54:40AM -0500, Bob Illyes wrote:
> I agree with Stuart's comments, but there is a fundamental error in much of
> what is being said on this list about race and the peace movement. There is
> the assumption that if African-Americans are underrepresented in the peace
> movement, it is white people's fault. It may or may not be the main thing
> that is relevant.
>
> This assumption is enormously condescending, the idea that white people are
> responsible for everything wrong, and that it is our responsibility to fix
> it all. It harkens back to what I believe was called "the white mans
> burden".
>
> Come on, you guys! Black folks are just as responsible and capable as white
> folks, and this racist finger-pointing buys us nothing that we want.

I agree, as far as that goes.   But I trust that that argument doesn't
excuse us from the responsibility that we (as AWARE, a successful,
respected-and-reviled, established peace-and-sometimes-social-justice
anarchic group with which I am proud to be affiliated) do have.

I hope we will be judged by what we're doing -- not *necessarily*
on the racial mix of who is active.  But the point is, we are not
doing nearly enough.  There are real race and class divides in
this community, as elsewhere, and our activities stay too much on the
side of what's comfortable for the existing people -- including me.
We are neglecting to encourage/recruit important constituencies
and we are unnecessarily narrowing our own outlook.

In the AWARE Presents context, Durl has always been careful to point
out how important it is to hold community events in community spaces,
and not just depend on the University as the host (which would often
be easiest for us).  There's a real town-and-gown separation in this
community too, subtle but powerful.   Holding events on "neutral"
territory is important for broadening the mix of people who come to
AWARE Presents events.   I think Durl is absolutely right in making
this point, and it sets an example we need to follow more broadly.

I'm changing the subject line.  Talking about "white man's burden"
is a foolish distraction.

   Stuart