[Peace-discuss] Observations on Anti-War Anti Racism

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Sat May 3 13:46:05 CDT 2008

I also appreciate Marti's initiation of this discussion and Ricky and
many others taking part.
      I do want to note that the Brian Chesley sentencing May 9 and
the Patrick Thompson trial #3 coming up May 12 are excellent
opportunities for people of all races to show interest/solidarity
together, to discuss in the hallways of justice how the criminal
justice system works in our County, and to learn more as I always do
from time in the courtroom about the ways that racism as a system
works on a daily basis.
      I always see faces there from AWARE, from CUCPJ, from the
Ministerial Alliance, from the NAACP, and the numbers of people are
starting to increase. Even if you work every day, you might get in on
your lunch hour. (the noon breaks are at all different times).
      There has been a massive internal migration from poor Black
neighborhoods into jails and prisons in this country and the least we
might do, if we are not Black and poor, is to take an interest in how
this happens and why it happens.  I met a young Black man in the
county jail last week while staffing the jail Books to Prisoners
library. He was reading the Public I article on Brian Chesley (we take
in a pile of them every week) and he was so amazed, and then touched
that I knew about it and had been to the trial. He emphasized to me
how utterly common Brian's experience was and also how excited he was
that this had not gone unnoticed, unwitnessed by people this was not
happening to. Please come.
Barbara Kessel