[Peace-discuss] Major truth, completed

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun May 4 21:52:31 CDT 2008

The Democrats in power (tho' they pretend they aren't) are not against the war
(tho' they pretend they are) -- while the (few) Democrats who are against the
"imperialist agenda" give the party in power cover.

This week alone Nancy Pelosi is preparing a parliamentary way to fund the Iraq
war well into the next administration; and Congressional Democrats secretly
voted $300 million for covert operations against Iran!  Don't these facts give
you pause?  Is it enough to say, "Bet Kucinich was against it"?

Meanwhile, the paleo-conservatives (add to the ones I've mentioned Justin
Raimondo and he website Antiwar.com) have been against the wars *on principle*
from the beginning and have given no cover to the Republican administration,
which they've condemned.

But we tend to think that opposition to the war must come from liberals, whom we
identify with (some segment of) the Democratic party.  But it doesn't.  Hence
Zizek's demand to break "the vicious cycle of left-liberal blackmail and to
profit from old Marx's insight into how intelligent conservatives often see more
than liberal progressives."  --CGE